|Birthday||April 14 (Aries)|
|Japanese Voice||Ryōta Ōsaka|
|English Voice||Kyle McCarley|
|Manga Debut||Chapter 01: Monotone|
|Anime Debut||Episode 01: Monotone/Colorful|
Watari has medium-length light brown hair that is slightly swept to the right (which makes him to look easygoing and approachable) and light caramel brown eyes. He is known for being good looking, which he uses to his advantage. Watari is of average height and build for a junior high student his age. He is also quite lean. His uniform is to be pictured slightly disheveled, as his tie is loose around his neck and his shirt not being tucked in, making girls swoon for him.
Watari is a bit of a play-boy as he seems to prefer girls who are "cute", demonstrated as he comments that when he sees Kaori Miyazono for the first time he stated that Tsubaki Sawabe did a good job on finding a cute looking girl. Furthermore, when introduced to Hiroko Seto, he talks to her immediately, calling her "Onee-sama" and telling Kousei Arima that she's cute. Watari also seems chill on the outside shown when he loses the last game of his middle school career and comforts his team mate. Really Watari is fragile. He also supports his friends as shown when Arima confesses to Watari. Watari tells Arima that "it is up to the girl to decide whether you are worth it or not". He supports Arima falling in love with Kaori Miyazono even though Watari quite likes her.
Watari was a close friend of Kousei Arima and Tsubaki Sawabe. They regularly spent time together, and were great friends. He cared for his friends, as well as Kousei’s mother, who he bought scented erasers for, during her hospitalisation.
Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso Edit
Watari was the captain of the Sumiya Junior High School soccer team by his early years in junior high school. Tsubaki introduces him to Kaori Miyazono, who he is instantly smitten with. Upon discovering that she was a violinist who had to compete in a competition in a few minutes, Watari, along with Kousei and Tsubaki, quickly made their way to Towa Hall to watch her performance.
Watari is very skilled at soccer, and is the captain of the soccer team at Sumiya Junior High School. He is seen easily dribbling past people in a junior high soccer tournament game, but can also be distracted at times; mainly when his friends are around, or just things to get easily distracted by in general. Due to his good looks, he is also known as a "chick-magnet".
- Watari is voiced by Sebastion Fitzgerald in the German dub, and Sergio Meso in the Spanish dub.
- Watari is Number 11 on the Sumiya Junior High School soccer team.
- His first name “Ryota”originally means "clear" and "thick". His last name“Watari”, has the original meaning of "over".
- (To Kousei) "Nice guys are doomed to finish last."
- (To Kousei) "It's only natural for the girl you're crushing on to be in love with someone else. Since you're in love with her, she sparkles in your eyes."
- (To Kousei) "A man can only take action! Whether or not it's impossible, the girl will let you know."
- (To Kousei) "Your true character is revealed by your actions in face of adversity."
- (To Kousei) "Stars only shine when they're set against the night."
- (To Students) "What lucky guys you are to have been born in this era! After all, you're going to be there when a star named Watari Ryōta is born!"
- (To Kousei) "Well, I missed my chance at becoming a star. So the rest is up to you!"
- (To Himself) "Dammit! Dammit! Dammit! No way am I going to lose next time, all right?"
- (To Kousei) "I'm on a roller coaster that only goes up, my friend."