|"The piano is you. If you touch it gently, it will smile. If you touch it with force, it will become enraged"|
|This article is considered a Stub. As such, this article's contents are expected to grow over time. Help this article grow by editing it.|
Koharu Seto (Daughter)
Kousei Arima (Ward)
|Japanese Voice||Mie Sonozaki|
|English Voice||Carrie Keranen|
|Manga||Chapter 16: Listen, Mama!|
|Anime||Episode 09: Resonance|
Hiroko is a beautiful, tall and athletically framed woman with black hair and dark blue eyes.
When Saki was alive, Hiroko used to have mid-length hair. After she died, Hiroko had cut hair to shoulder-length, with a single strand hanging in front of her face and swept to the left.
Upbeat and exuberant on the outside, Hiroko is actually a warm-hearted and sensitive person who cares for Kousei after he decides to begin to play the piano once again. She also partly feels guilty for pushing Saki to make Kousei into a pianist, pushing him into a corner. But all in all, she supports him in all his decisions and is always there for him.
During her time in high school, Hiroko met fellow pianist, Yuriko Ochiai, and stayed friends well into their adulthood.
Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso Edit
When Hiroko heard that Kousei had returned to the piano, she watched his Maihou Competition performance, and met him in person for the first time in two years. Because of the emotions Kousei had put into his music, Hiroko deduced that he was playing for he a girl he liked. She offered to be his mentor and guardian, and managed to change Kousei’s negative thoughts towards his late mother, by assuring him that “No mother hates her children”.
As Japan’s leading pianist, Hiroko has advanced skill in piano, having performed in a concert. With her occupation as a pianist and tutor, Hiroko has the ability to guide, inspire, and relieve students' stress and stage fright before competitions. She has the capability to inspire and support people like Kousei Arima and Nagi Aiza.
- (To Kousei's Mom) "Saki, you have to teach Kousei how to play piano! He is a prodigy"
- (To Kousei) "Which one do you like better, long hair or short hair?"
- (To Herself) "After losing Saki, Kousei...met someone who means the world to him."
- (To Kousei) “No mother hates her children.”
- Hiroko is voiced by Sandrine Mittelstädt in the German dub, and Miry Ginger in the Spanish dub.
- While never shown to actually partake, Seto is consistently referenced by Kousei and Koharu to smoke cigarettes. While it is somewhat uncommon knowledge, musicians (especially touring ones) commonly smoke cigarettes, possibly due to the high stress of playing in front of people.